Studying or traveling abroad can be a life-changing experience. It opens your eyes to our tremendous diversity, as well as our shared humanity. Americans for Informed Democracy was founded by students studying abroad to create space for young people to talk about the US role in the world. Ten years later, as as we approach the tenth anniversary of 9/11, this conversation is more important than ever.
Help us talk about our role in the world by sharing your experiences abroad. We’re looking for student contributors for our “Bringing the World Home” blog series. Contributors write one blog post—250 to 500 words—discussing their experience overseas (or one element, story or highlight) and how it affected their understanding of their role in the world. Posts will be featured on the AIDemocracy website throughout the 2011-12 academic year.
This is a fun and fast way to inspire your peers to engage around global challenges. We are looking for as many contributors as possible. Contributors can be in high school, college or graduate school, or even be a recent graduate / young professional. This is a great opportunity to build your writing and analytical skills. (And we will help with final editing!)
Tips for success:
- Introduce yourself, where you go to school and your motivations for going abroad
- Share funny, anecdotal or meaningful experiences. The more personal and real, the better.
- Think honestly about how those experiences shaped your worldview. How did you change as a result of the experience? How does this motivate you personally, academically and professionally now?
- Be sure to include any photos, videos, and other media
- Posts can be in any format. Text, video, photos, etc. are all accepted.
Ready to share your experience abroad? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!