Ready to inspire students across the United States to take action around global issues? Interested in playing a key leadership role in a national youth movement? Then we need you!
Americans for Informed Democracy (AIDemocracy) is looking for applications from inspired, globally conscious students to join our Food security team for the 2011-12 academic year. The Organizer will lead efforts to identify, recruit and mobilize other young people from across the US around this issue. Other team members will include the team Coordinator, Issue Analysts and Communications Gurus.
AIDemocracy is a national student network that mobilizes young people around global issues. Our vision is that young people in the United States exercise their power to bring about a peaceful, healthy, just and sustainable world.
Organizer responsibilities include:
• Identifying students and chapters from within and beyond the AIDemocracy network interested in getting involved in the issue.
• Building relationships with other organizations and student groups.
• Cultivating and supporting students and student leaders working with the campaign.
• Creating and promoting opportunities for the community to take action.
Skills and qualifications:
• Excellent communications and people skills.
• Experience working with students / campaigns seeking social change.
• Great sense of youth culture, and images / approaches that resonate with youth.
• Proficiency with new media.
• Ability to work both independently and in teams.
You’ll like this position if you:
• Want to improve your student organizing skills.
• Believe that students have the power to affect change.
• Enjoy coming up with creative ways to communicate information.
Skills you’ll gain:
• Campaign Strategy
• New and Print Media
• Event Organizing
This is a part time volunteer position based anywhere. Organizer will work between 8-10 hours/month, potentially longer in the early months. Term is summer 2011-May 2012. The Organizer will work on a student team, and have access to ongoing training opportunities and support from AIDemocracy staff.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject line. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Find out more at www.aidemocracy.org.