Interested in the role of youth and foreign policy in the 2012 elections? AIDemocracy is currently accepting applications from inspired, globally conscious individuals who are interested in a dynamic and fast-paced internship with an exciting national youth network. The Program Fellow to support our work educating and mobilizing young people to speak out about US global engagement leading up to the 2012 elections. This is a fantastic opportunity to amplify the youth voice around issues like climate change, the global economy, US security, global poverty and more.
AIDemocracy is a national student network founded after 9/11 to amplify the youth voice around US global engagement. We help students 1) understand key global challenges like poverty, maternal health, climate change and nuclear weapons, 2) train students to be powerful leaders and organizers, and 3) connect students to opportunities to take action at the campus and national levels.
- Help plan our work around the 2012 elections, including: a youth conference in spring 2012, campus events in fall 2012, and 100 days scorecard of the new administration.
- Work with the team coordinating the youth conference: identify and liaise with partners, organizations and participants; organize panels and workshops; help with logistics, etc.
- Develop and promote ways for students to take action on their campuses around the elections in fall 2012.
Skills and qualifications:
- Strong interest in US global engagement / foreign policy, specific to any sector
- Experience planning events of any size
- Interest in youth mobilization
- Interest in 2012 elections
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
You’ll like this position if you:
- Want to get involved in mobilizing youth around the 2012 elections
- Want to build contacts at schools, organizations and think tanks in Washington DC
- Believe that students have the power to affect change
Skills you’ll gain:
- Foreign policy analysis
- Youth mobilization
- Event planning
- Strategic planning
This is a part or full-time position; minimum commitment is 15 hours/week. Duration is negotiable, but must be for at least four months. Start date is flexible, although no later than January 23, 2012. Ideal candidate is located in greater Washington, DC area, although working virtually may also be an option. This is an unpaid position, although Fellow will be eligible for numerous training opportunities.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Put the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject line. No phone calls please. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. ampglobalyouth.org